We, being individual AIESEC alumni and having met in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at the AIESEC Alumni Global Conference 2009, on 29th and 30th August 2009:
REITERATING AIESEC Alumni International’s (AAI) mission to provide an international platform through which former AIESEC members and associates can continue to interact, contribute to and actively gain from a continuing involvement with AIESEC and the Alumni of AIESEC.
FURTHER REITERATING the six main values of AIESEC, namely Activating Leadership, Demonstrating Integrity, Living Diversity, Enjoying Participation, Striving for Excellence and Acting Sustainably.
REAFFIRMING that AAI actively promotes the ethics, values and culture of AIESEC within both the professional environments of its membership as well as other external environments and to continue to develop socially responsible, culturally sensitive, proactive agents of change; to make a difference in society and the life of the individual; and to fulfill the role that AIESEC plays within society through an Alumni body.
DO HEREBY URGE:
Alumni of AIESEC:
1. AAI to work with AI and the member countries to establish its own AIESEC Alumni body to register members, organize AIESEC alumni activities and to support the local AIESEC projects. AAI will present a three (3) year implementation roadmap at the next AIESEC Alumni International Meeting (IPM 2010 in Tunisia).
2. The long term goal is to have a global alumni member database but in the medium term, each AIESEC Alumni body is encouraged to develop and maintain their own list of members. Hiro Kinashi (firstname.lastname@example.org) of AIESEC Alumni Japan has volunteered to provide advisory for the management of such database, if so requested by any AIESEC Alumni body, for a period until the next AIESEC Alumni International Meeting (IPM 2010 at Tunisia), where the progress will be reviewed.
3. The AIESEC Alumni bodies will actively reiterate the six core values of AIESEC, namely Activating Leadership, Demonstrating Integrity, Living Diversity, Enjoying Participation, Striving for Excellence and Acting Sustainably, in its members meetings and publications.
Community, Environment and Marketplace:
4. AIESEC Alumni bodies should only promote or organize activities that are in accordance with the AAI mission and AIESEC core values, vision and philosophy.
5.In relation to community and the environment, the conference suggests that this is best managed and led at the local AIESEC Alumni level, specific to the needs in each locality, in a manner that is sustainable and supported by alumni members’ activities. The crux of the matter is that we recognise that all AIESEC Alumni activities, both as an organization and individual members, have an impact on the communities in which we operate and that we are all responsible for the preservation of our environment. Additionally, AIESEC Alumni hold a special position within the business community and should contribute in a manner of responsible leadership.
6. Recognising that the dissemination of information on alumni activities and achievements in the areas of community, the environment and outstanding individual alumni contribution in the marketplace can be a testimony to others, all AIESEC Alumni bodies are encouraged to establish and actively maintain websites/blogs and/or periodical publications in a sustainable manner. AAI will present good practices, with examples, at the next AIESEC Alumni International Meeting (IPM 2010 in Tunisia).
AIESEC Alumni International:
7. Semi-annual AIESEC Alumni International gatherings (to coincide with AIESEC IC and IPM) will be the main venues to share the results of AAI and all other AIESEC Alumni initiatives for the community, the environment, members and the marketplace, with AAI as the driving force and with active participation from individuals and AIESEC Alumni bodies in order to promote a sense of ownership.
8. AAI will consider and obtain feedback from AIESEC Alumni bodies on the possible rebranding of AAI, and present at the next AIESEC Alumni International Meeting (IPM 2010 in Tunisia) for consideration.
This Kuala Lumpur Declaration is advisory in nature but we, the individual participants at the AIESEC Alumni Global Conference 2009 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, strongly urge AIESEC Alumni bodies to take positive actions on the eight (8) points above.
“Once an AIESECer, always an AIESECer.”
See Appendix – List of AAGC 2009 participants